Numerous vaccine clinics have been held at MH and WCV. Counting all residents who got vaccinated at MH, WCV and elsewhere, we know that 97% of WCV residents have been vaccinated, along with almost all residents in Skilled Nursing and Personal Care, and 71% of staff.
COVID-19 Vaccine Required for All MHC Staff Members
On September 13, 2021, MHC announced its decision to mandate the COVID-19 vaccination for all MHC staff members. In recent months, a growing number of government agencies, health care associations, organizations and companies have supported COVID-19 vaccine mandates for staff members. Indeed, the PA Department of Health on August 12, 2021, called for all nursing homes to achieve an 80% vaccination rate for staff members by October 1, 2021. In addition, many residents and family members have urged MHC to mandate the vaccine because they believe it is the best way to keep our residents safe.
President Biden announced on September 9, 2021, that all healthcare organizations must require staff to get the COVID-19 vaccine, or the company will become ineligible to receive Medicare and Medicaid funding.
Therefore, MHC will require all staff, at MH and WCV, to have received both doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or the single dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine by November 30, 2021, against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless they have an approved religious or medical exemption.
Vaccine Information for MH Residents and Family Members
Vaccine information was communicated to MH residents and family members. The letter can be found here. Additional resident communication is available below.
Are the COVID-19 vaccines safe?
- Safety is the most important priority in vaccine approval
- Most adverse side effects occur within 6 weeks of vaccine administration, and the FDA has required 8 weeks of safety monitoring
- FDA advises a minimum of 3,000 participants to assess safety. The current phase 3 trials have 30,000 to 50,000 participants. This really demonstrates how safety is a top priority for the FDA and the medical community.
Why should we trust the COVID-19 vaccine?
- The FDA using the same standards that it has for decades
- There are no steps being “skipped”
- Data from the vaccine trials is being rigorously reviewed by independent experts
For more information please visit: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/index.html